In one of my classes this past week, we started learning about Botanical Medicine.
I already knew that garlic was somewhat of a ‘superfood‘ (Yes, I call it a food because I eat so much of it…). During my class, I realized that there are even MORE reasons to love it though!
Here it all is, in point form to keep your attention…
- Garlic is a powerful antimicrobial (which means that is has the ability to kill the so-called ‘bad-bacteria’ in your body) – Garlic also supports the ‘good-bacteria’ in your body
- It’s an astringent (has a drying action – especially good for acne and pimples)
- It makes your natural defense (your immune system) stronger
- Decreases your bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases your good cholesterol (HDL) which is protective against heart disease
- Anti-cancer (especially of the digestive system)
And surely there’s more too… But there you go !
Garlic is not as effective when cooked, so for full benefit you need to consume it raw (beware of really, really bad breathe !)
If you want to enjoy it cooked, drizzle it with 1 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and bake at 350 degrees F until it turns golden. Eat the cloves whole, it is SO good if you’re a garlic fan!