How do you feel about this photo…
Are you immediately drawn to the cookie, or to the leafy greens?
Most of us are eyeing that delicious chocolate chip cookie… let’s be real!!… But, how come we can’t all crave the leafy greens? We know they are much healthier than the cookie that’s most likely filled with processed and refined ingredients with a hint of shortening!
Cravings are a complicated subject – and I really wish that I had the answer to why we get them.
For me, it’s cravings for sweets after dinner – and I’m in the process of trying to figure out WHY I get this persistent craving on a daily basis. Using my daily food log, I’ve been writing down everything that I’ve eaten over the past couple of weeks, in hopes that after analyzing it I can tell if there’s any deficiencies that are potentially leading me to crave sugar later in the day.
Here are a few other reasons why you might be getting hit with these super-cravings…
- You’re not feeding your body properly – and you are lacking nutrients. This can lead to cravings of all sorts… Pickles, anyone?!
- Seasonal/Weather Changes. Can you relate to this? In the Winter you want comforting, warm and possibly not-so-healthy things – whereas come Spring and Summer you are much more inclined to choose detoxifying fruits and vegetables that sit a little bit lighter in your stomach
- Stress/Lack of Interest in what you’re eating
- Dehydration! If you don’t drink enough water throughout the day, your dehydration might actually come across as mild hunger/cravings – so drink your h20 friends!
- For the women out there, hormones can certainly play a part. Again, you need to first focus on a potential nutrient imbalances as well…
Instead of seeing cravings as a simple ‘weakness’ – try and look a little deeper into the root cause of what may be causing them.
In the meantime – you can satisfy your sweet tooth at night with this light snack that is guaranteed to satisfy !
1/2 Banana, 2 Tablespoons of Nut Butter, Sprinkled with Cinnamon and Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
It’s a snack FAVOURITE of mine!