Here’s a simple and nutritious Quinoa Salad that you can make.
Why do I eat so much Quinoa? Here’s a few reasons…
- It cooks in under 20 minutes – great for when you’re crunched for time!
- It’s a *complete protein – containing all of your essential amino acids
*This is great news for Vegans/Vegetarians!
- It takes on almost any flavour (spices, sauces, herbs)
- It’s filling! You can eat a meal that contains Quinoa, and be satisfied for hours.
- It doesn’t sit too heavy, so you can eat it before working out
My latest concoction.
Recipe. (I kept it fairly vague so that you could throw together your own combination!!)
Step 1: Pick your GRAIN (preferably a whole-grain) – Today I chose QUINOA because it’s the super food of the year!
Step 2: Choose your veggies, chop them up – or grate them if you prefer! I chose Rapini (Leafy Green), a Yellow Bell Pepper, and Whole Carrots
Step 3: Choose your spices! I sprinkled on some Garam Masala (an Indian blend of ground spices), Paprika and Tumeric (because it’s anti-inflammatory)
Step 4: Choose your “Add-Ins”. I chose to chop up some almonds and pumpkin seeds (for some essential fats and protein), chickpeas and white kidney beans (again, both protein sources), and some fresh cilantro because it’s my favourite (and it chelates heavy metals in your body – literally pulls them through your system, detoxifying your body).
*Cilantro has many other uses in Integrative Medicine – some of which can be found here!
(You can research other herbs and their medicinal properties by Googling ‘Botanical Medicine’ – very fascinating!
Aaaaand…. that’s it ! Eat up !